Thursday, April 9, 2009

What am I thinking about today?

Maybe I should implement more structure into my blog. I could write about a certain topic and try to attract readers and then sell ad space and make lots of money. Lots of people do it! But that's not really me, I'm kind of a "go with the flow" kind of girl... I think... Anyway, I just decided that today I'm thinking about networking. It seems like everyone has to do it to get anywhere in life these days. It's more about WHO you know than what you know (and please don't quote me on that - I'm most definitely not the first person to say it). In the business world, nobody will remember a faceless person who emails all of their resumes and doesn't know anybody in the industry. Some of the most successful actors in the entertainment business got their big break because of someone they knew in particular who introduced them to someone else in particular. So I guess I need to get crackin' especially since I'm thinking of doing music PR. Whew. It's amazing how early you have to start in some fields of study. While in school, you are almost as focused on securing a job or internship as you are on gaining the skills to actually complete it. Next year I'll be VP of Professional Development fpr BYU's chapter of PRSSA (student version of the nation's PR trade society). It will be my lovely responsiblity to help the members I serve realize this and act upon it. Come to think of it, that might be one reason why I am thinking of networking and planning for my future NOW... I guess it's a good thing I believe in the concept. But even though it's kind of scary to get started, NOW really is the time to set the example! Woot!

2 comments:

Amie said...

Hil! That sounds awesome! Good luck girl, you'll do awesome.

krista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.