Sometimes it's so hard to just open your mouth and say what you must. Each and every time we speak, we submit ourselves to the judgement of those who hear us... subconsciously, of course. There is always the question of what they will ultimately think of us, how they will respond, what kind of an effect you will have on them, and what kind of an effect that will have on your existing relationship. Some of the things we say are more poignant than others in this way, for example, politics, re
ligion, a person's character, and issues of interpersonal relations. The reason I have been pondering these things has a lot to do with the recent election, particularly Proposition 8 in California and my Church's surprisingly active support of it. I've been dealing with the prospect of confonting those whom I respect and care for, about touchy subjects that I feel very strongly about and they feel very strongly about in a completely different way. I've also been learning that there are some things that we just MUST say that may be hard to do. It's strange to think that you have to be brave to just talk to someone. I've gotten so comfortable with just talking to people about almost anything, even people I don't know that well. I watched a mission prep. fireside today that was completely focused on "open[ing] your mouth" (D&C33:2) about the gospel. Share what you know to be true with everyone you come in contact with! Even if it's scary. Be brave! .... gah... Why do we fear each other so? What is so terrible about judgment from others? How do we overcome those fears? I guess these could be rhetorical questions... but I still want to answer them for myself.
ligion, a person's character, and issues of interpersonal relations. The reason I have been pondering these things has a lot to do with the recent election, particularly Proposition 8 in California and my Church's surprisingly active support of it. I've been dealing with the prospect of confonting those whom I respect and care for, about touchy subjects that I feel very strongly about and they feel very strongly about in a completely different way. I've also been learning that there are some things that we just MUST say that may be hard to do. It's strange to think that you have to be brave to just talk to someone. I've gotten so comfortable with just talking to people about almost anything, even people I don't know that well. I watched a mission prep. fireside today that was completely focused on "open[ing] your mouth" (D&C33:2) about the gospel. Share what you know to be true with everyone you come in contact with! Even if it's scary. Be brave! .... gah... Why do we fear each other so? What is so terrible about judgment from others? How do we overcome those fears? I guess these could be rhetorical questions... but I still want to answer them for myself.
1 comment:
You have to remember that without fear we'd have no inhibitions, and like the kids born without the ability to feel pain, we probably wouldn't last too long. At least not socially, anyway.
On the flip side, I think there are few things more rewarding than conquering fears/inhibitions and doing something new. Talking about the gospel? Talk about faith building.
Post a Comment